Nicole
In case you didn't already realize, Nicole is back and much farther away at that. Find out what happened on the way here and soon after by reading the two-parter:

The Moving Story

The House

Within a few weeks my residency will commence and the crazy hardcore writing will begin. I know I said I'd have a follow up blog to go with "The Moving Story," but I decided to just make that "The House" instead since I had a lot to say. After all that, there's still been some more to do and we still have to get up some leaves and do some planting to make the place look brighter and more chipper than it does. It's not too bad a house - it just needs a LOT of work. And a whole new kitchen because that thing sucks. The kitchens some of you guys had in your apartments were better than this one.

Anyway, enjoy reading those - I have to go get dressed.

Oh! Holy crap I totally forgot! I never mentioned how I chopped all my hair off finally. Ok.

I'd decided to cut it in April, and the plan was to go mega short, something I haven't done in years, and last time it wasn't done that well. If you remember how short my hair was that one year at Ryan's party at his, Nate's, and Matt's apartment, you already have a general idea of how short I planned to go. It had been in the works for...well, forever. I hadn't done much to my hair except maybe trim it once back in school, so by the time April rolled around, my hair was long. Longer than I think it's ever been, or at least for a while. Fantastic to put up in a bun though, so I started doing that a lot. When down, it was getting to be just above my hips, so I didn't leave it down all that much, mostly because I wasn't too keen on looking like a hippy girl (because I kinda do, much to my annoyance).

What I wanted to do with my short hair was to just say "Fuck it" and be bold and try out what my sister had suggested several years back and I was too iffy and "Oh I don't know" to do it. Cut it short - chin length - give it some layers, and flip it out. Good plan. What's more, one day back when my dad was still actually living with us in Rantoul, we stopped by the barber shop so he could get a trim and one of the ladies there askd if I as geting my hair cut. I said no, but she said when I did, I should donate it to Locks of Love. Ok, I'm game. Got all this hair, might as well do something productive with it.

So when April finally rolled around, about the mid-point of the month on a Saturday, I moseyed on in to a little hair place and explained what I wanted. For some reason, everyone there went all psycho when I cut my hair off. Even two girls that came in later saw it and went into shock or something, and they kept saying, "But why would you do that? Why would you cut off all your hair?" Um, because it's been long for WAY too long and I want it gone ok? They acted like hair doesn't grow back and I was doomed to have short hair for the rest of eternity. It was weird. So the hair dresser is just snipping away and afte a while I start to get a little panicky, like, "Umm...how much is she gonna take off??" but finally she stopped. Now I specifically said "flipped out" as in, take a curling iron and make it flipped out. Duh. I don't know what she's thinking but when I looked in the mirror I was basically thinking, "So totally not what I want - and I reeeeeelly hope I can get my hair to do what I want or I'm going to be kind of bummed." Even if my hair didn't turn out exactly the way I planned, I wasn't going to be super bent out of shape because, after all, hair does grow back so it's no big deal.

I took my hair and went home (I have a picture of me with my hair, so you get to see how much I cut off - over 12 inches - and what that woman did to my hair), and the next day when I had to go to work, I took a curling iron to my hair and voila! Sheer awesomeness. No, really, I looked awesome. It was one of those days where things just go right. And thus did I skip into work and have everyone immediately telling me how great my hair was. Score. And it was good too because you know if people flatline before telling you it's good, that means it's either not that great or just plain crappy, but instant approval is a positive thing. I have another picture of me with good hair by my car, so when they're all developed, I'll post them, along with the cakes my mom and I decorated (we took a cake decorating class at Michaels if you recall). My first cake is super-fantastic, and you'll soon see why (it's done in typical Nicole style).

So yeah, at least I look good. =P Ok, now I'm going to go get dressed! Toodles!



I have been eating an unhealthy amount of these...
1 Response
  1. Anonymous Says:

    Okay, now I'm hungry for cookies. Thanks a lot. But yeah, let's see a picture of the new hairdo.

    - Anthony